Sunday, December 24, 2006

Reading Favourites



When it comes to books and knick knacks, Atria in DJ, is a fave choice of mine. The Big Book Shop there is unfortunately closing down, and they're currently holding a massive blockbuster sale. Naturally, I couldn’t let it slip by unnoticed, so I checked it out and was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful selections on sale. Besides books, they also offer a huge range of stationeries, computer items, gifts and other trinkets. By the way, sale ends Jan next year if anyone is interested.

I started my reading hobby early and practically grew up with Enid Blyton. Everything from Amelia Jane, Magic Faraway Tree, The Three Golliwogs, Mr. Twiddle, The Wishing Chair, Famous Five, Secret Seven to Malory Towers kept my young imagination occupied. My world was filled with adventures and magical stories of pixies & fairies and gnomes & goblins.

I gradually moved on to Judy Blume’s work, Sweet Dreams, Sweet Valley High, Mills & Boons (fell prey to this for a while!), V.C. Andrews and more. Nowadays, I enjoy more laid back and light reading, for mere entertainment so I mostly read autobiographies, Jackie Collins & Danielle Steele and of course, chic lits.

My favourite chic-lit series so far is still the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella. Never have I enjoyed reading so much that it can make me laugh out loud for days! Her flair for comic-writing is apparent, and hilariously real you can’t help but relate to her. Jackie Collins is another terrific writer; her stories about love, lust, control and brutality in Hollywood, give us a perfect glimpse of the lives of the rich and famous. Exceptionally honest and descriptive, she entertains by making me feel as though I’m part of every plot. Anyway, one of my New Year's resolutions is to catch up on my reading - starting with the stack above!


39 comments:

Anonymous,  December 25, 2006 12:03 AM

Good reso! As for me, heavy thick books make me wanna sleep. I read thin novels, you know the Penguins RM9.90 hahaha...

Mariuca December 25, 2006 10:50 PM

Yes, sometimes heavy thick books can make you go to sleep! Hey, I read some Penguin books too :)

LadyJava October 25, 2007 4:37 PM

I loved Sweet Valley High..hhe..who was that Jessica and Elizabeth the twins right..hehe..hehe..do you like Danielle Steele, Suzzane Johnson..(not sure spelling though).. i have tonnes of their book.. don't know what to do with them....hehe

Mariuca October 26, 2007 10:56 AM

LJ, you are correct! Jess and Liz they were called, what fun reading abt the beautiful twins huh? And I love Danielle Steele!! :):):)

Genie Princess

LadyJava October 26, 2007 4:01 PM

hehe.. oh dear.. scary eh.. can still remember their names.. I wanted to be Jess...heheh...the girl with all the fun!...;-)

Mariuca October 26, 2007 9:36 PM

Yeah and Liz was the goody goody one! Forgot her bf's name though! ;)

Genie Princess

emilayusof September 27, 2008 10:51 PM

i've 2 books to read. plan to read it during my pangkor trip in november.

LadyJava September 27, 2008 11:29 PM

Wah.. been a while since I actually read an actual book... getting lazier and lazier..hehe

LadyJava September 28, 2008 2:09 AM

The boyfriends name was "Ned" is it.. or was that Nancy Drew's bf..hmm.. cant' remember lah..

LadyJava September 29, 2008 5:48 AM

yeap.. that long Emila.. terok kan!!

LadyJava September 29, 2008 5:48 AM

Feeling guilty now :(

emilayusof October 03, 2008 6:46 PM

hehe...can buy e-book novels if you want!

LadyJava October 03, 2008 11:05 PM

Yeah.. was reading one or two of those once.. after that stop pulak ..must start again lah..

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:45 AM

but reading e-books tak best kan?

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:45 AM

rasa macam tak baca pun...

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:46 AM

i prefer readin the real book sebab dapat pegang...

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:46 AM

dapat rasa kertas...

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:47 AM

dan dapat juga buat tutup muka kalau ngantuk

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:47 AM

dapat bawak pergi tandas...

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:47 AM

eh...you bawak tak lappie pi tandas?

emilayusof October 11, 2008 9:29 PM

hmm tak jawap pon...lj must be very busy...

Elara October 12, 2008 4:29 PM

Marzie, I grew up reading Famous Five too!

I was a member of a library in Kuching and I used my father's, aunt's, sister's and my cards to borrow, so we always have 12 books to read every week! (3 for each person)

Elara October 12, 2008 4:31 PM

Although I love reading, I've never really bought any books. The last book I bought was Honk! If You're Malaysian by Lydia Teh. :)

I used to enjoy Fear Street (R.L. Stine) and Christopher Pike's horror series. :)

Nowadays I read Reader's Digest and National Geographic. :)

LadyJava October 12, 2008 11:22 PM

Now I feel so unread langsung...hhehe

Elara October 13, 2008 4:07 AM

LJ, Reader's Digest best tau. Loe it cuz it's ringan, kecik but padat. There's so much info in one mag! :):)

emilayusof October 14, 2008 12:07 AM

debbie dulu punya reader's digest best, sekarang ni dah kureng sikit.

emilayusof October 14, 2008 12:07 AM

National Geographic I love!!!

emilayusof October 14, 2008 12:08 AM

not to mention those crafty magazines!

emilayusof October 14, 2008 12:08 AM

and martha stewart's living!!! Wowee!

emilayusof October 14, 2008 12:08 AM

oh, and digital camera mag too!

emilayusof October 16, 2008 11:02 AM

can't wait to clear off works so that i can read books!

Mariuca October 16, 2008 11:13 AM

Morning ladies! :)

LJ, ye ke Ned? Sounds familiar, but still not sure kan? LJ, you're too busy blogging to be reading away tu! ;)

Emila, I mmg tak suka e-books, cause like u said, tak leh flip pages, so what's da point? Mags oso I laik, esp the Holiwud goss mags he he! ;)

Debbs! Yay, me loved FF back then! Secret Seven pun cool jugak and all the magical stories like enchanted forest and the rest I mentioned here, best gila! :)

Elara October 17, 2008 7:10 PM

Marzie, Secret Seven ke yg ada anjing pastu diorg salu dok kat gua sambil minum hot cocoa tu? I dah lupa la, but I read the BM version. Lol!!

I suka Nancy drew jugak! And Hardy Boys, selalu imagine diorg hensem2!

Elara October 17, 2008 7:11 PM

Kak Emila, ye ke RD yg dulu lagi best? Dulu I tak reti nak baca..hehe

emilayusof October 18, 2008 2:52 PM

ya debbie dulu punya lagi best, lagi banyak info dari yg sekarang.

LadyJava October 19, 2008 10:31 AM

Hardy boys.. handsome and Ned Nikerson pun...lolzz

LadyJava October 19, 2008 10:32 AM

alamak salah spelling lah.. i mean boyfriend nya Nancy Drew.. Ned tu...

emilayusof October 19, 2008 6:03 PM

ned tu shaun cassidy ke?

Post a Comment

Love n Hugs from Genie Princess!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Mariuca's Visitors