Monday, November 13, 2006

To Fredo With Love

Early Wed morning last week, (10am is early for me!), I received a text message from my good friend, Dommie. Her sms said that our ex boss, Fredo Gayondato, passed away. I then remembered receiving a similar message 4 months back when his wife passed away. Stunned into silence, I was filled with a certain kind of despair that can only come with the reality of death.

I still recall the first day Fredo took over our then Boss' position to head the Advertising team of MM. I remember the apprehension we felt, not knowing what to expect from a new boss, especially one with the name Fredo! He did live up to his name however - a smiler who was always jovial, with twinkling eyes that lit up the instant he got excited. Always the entertainer, he was forever ready with a joke that would be followed by his hearty, contagious laugh.

My first disagreement with Fredo happened when I refused to apologize to a client for something I did NOT do. I gave Fredo my reason for not wanting to and he wasn't mad. He just made sure that I knew what I was getting into and that as a boss, he'll back my decision, despite the "Client Is Always Right" motto NST strictly adheres to. In that sense, Fredo was a very understanding boss, almost like a strong father figure you can depend on whenever you go to see him "for a chat".

When his wife passed away, Fredo was at a good place in his life. After spending almost half his life and time in NST, he had just retired and was looking forward to spending the rest of his days with his wife. He was thus, devastated to lose his wife before they had a chance to embark on their "second honeymoon". I truly felt for him then, despite not having seen him since leaving NST in 2000.

The death of anyone you know, or don't know for that matter, is definitely a sad occasion. The thought of fun-loving Fredo with a frown on his face and a tear in his eye, mourning the death of his beloved wife, was just too much to fathom. And now, four months later, Fredo has reunited his broken heart with that of his wife. Perhaps, this is the closure that he's been seeking for the past few months.

The Malay Mail published a short mention in honour of Fredo. His death was due to a heart attack. I however, believe that he died of a broken heart, from sheer agony of losing a loved one too soon.

Fredo dearest,
Your presence will be dearly missed by all who knew you. I may not be the best employee you ever had, but I hope you know that I do appreciate all the things I've learned from you during my short 4-year stint in NST. May you rest in peace. Good bye from me and the Malay Mail Advertising Team 1996-2000.



14 comments:

J@n!ce August 28, 2007 9:53 PM

Marzie, I may not know your ex boss, Fredo. But reading this post about his dead wife & that he also re-unite with her 4 mths later just brings me to tears. I hope he & wife rest in peace :)

Janiceng SEO Traffic

Mariuca August 28, 2007 11:22 PM

Hi Janice, thanks so much for being my first commenter on this post. Actually this was the only post with no comments but all that has changed with ur lovely comment here.

Yes, it's such a sad story huh? I feel sad every time I read it again. Such a tragic ending for the couple. I feel so bad for their kids, they're all grown up now but to lose both parents in the space of several months must have been devastating! :(:(:(

Mariuca SEO Traffic

J@n!ce August 29, 2007 12:44 AM

Marzie, haha, this is the only post with no commentor & I have break the 'egg' :):)

I click in here from your meme expecting to learn something more about your previous job actually. It just make me sad to hear that someone passed away. This is one of my fear mah. I'm very scare of death. I cannot accept it esp if they are someone dear to me. I feel sad for the kids.

You are right although they may be grown up, but losing both parents within short periods are difficult to endure :(

Janiceng SEO Traffic

Mariuca August 29, 2007 3:17 AM

Thank u Janice for breaking the egg! I'm glad u did though cause we both got to share the fear of death, which is one of my greatest fears too. Losing those u love is something I can never begin to imagine...

Thanks for sharing ur thoughts here Jan!

LadyJava September 28, 2008 12:58 AM

May he rest in peace GP!!

Mariuca September 28, 2008 1:26 AM

Thank you for reading LJ! *Hugs*

Mariuca September 28, 2008 7:54 PM

Thank you Emila! :)

emilayusof October 07, 2008 1:34 AM

you're welcome, marzie!

Elara October 12, 2008 4:02 PM

This post is sad and sweet at the same time, GP..

May he rest in peace ya. :)

Post a Comment

Love n Hugs from Genie Princess!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Mariuca's Visitors